Author Topic: Want the start button back in Win8?  (Read 3380 times)

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
Want the start button back in Win8?
« on: May 17, 2013, 12:43:10 AM »
If you're like most people, the first thing you notice in Windows 8 on your desktop or laptop computer is the lack of a start button.  Especially annoying is the increased difficulty in performing what used to be simple tasks.  There is a fix for that - third party apps that bring back the start menu.  For an overview of the various ones that are available, see http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33642_7-57496506-292/how-to-get-the-start-menu-back-in-windows-8/
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 10:08:39 PM by WayOutWest »

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
Re: Want the start button back in Win8?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 09:57:54 AM »
HUGE discussions about this on the 'net.
I thought I heard the other day that Windows would be bringing back the start button with Windows Blue (update for the windows 7)
But, that doesn't come out till later, so this is an easy fix for now.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 10:25:18 AM »
From what I've read, yes and no on the bringing back of start button.  Read the other day that the start button in windows blue will be nothing more than a shortcut to the metro start screen. Dunno how true that is, though.

I've been using Classic Shell, but considering switching to Pokki or Start Menu Reviver

My first 'where is it' moment happened when I was using Metro's IE and needed access to the volume control. The second one was when I wanted to run a desktop based program I had installed. 

Now I've got system to where it boots to desktop mode with the metro tiles readily available and with a start button.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 10:08:04 PM by WayOutWest »

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 12:20:25 PM »
I'm looking at a laptop with Windows 8 for Hannah.
She wants nothing to do with Windows 8.
The price is really, REALLY good...might just do it anyway.
She has 2 laptops, one small one and one normal size and wants to sell those two for this over-sized screen laptop.
But, she flat out refuses to even consider Windows 8.
I was hoping that Windows 8 would solve the start issue.
It's cuhhhhhhrazy!

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 10:01:50 PM »
I really like windows 8.  The only issues I've had (besides lack of start button) is sometimes experiencing crashing of firefox, ie, or whole system due to low memory and it sometimes reverts back to default power settings.   The laptop I have with win8 only came with 6GB RAM and I havent upgraded it yet (can do 16GB).  Upgrading it should fix the memory issues.   Win8 has very fast startup and I really like the ability to flip between tablet mode and desktop mode.  Can even split the screen into 3/4 one and 1/4 the other. So, can do things like netflix app over to the side while working on documents.   Sure, in traditional can do an IE window with netflix and size to what you want, but still...    Add the start button back and it's better than win7 imho.

What's funny is samsung pre-installs their own program launcher utility that has a start menu and quick launch bar. Even they saw that the missing start button is an issue. 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 10:11:50 PM by WayOutWest »

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 01:31:16 AM »
just switched out Classic Shell for Pokki.  So far I like it. It's a bit different than Classic Shell. Pokki has more customizations, it's own app store, and can run apps directly on the desktop.

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 10:21:25 AM »
I really like windows 8.  The only issues I've had (besides lack of start button) is sometimes experiencing crashing of firefox, ie, or whole system due to low memory and it sometimes reverts back to default power settings. 

Add the start button back and it's better than win7 imho.

Did you see Firefox had an update this past week..maybe that will help.
(DUH, of course WOW saw it)

I'm going to look into those laptops again thanks to your review of Windows 8.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 11:30:22 AM »
yeah, saw the FF update thing on tv the other day. Meant to post about it.  :-[  Includes a couple of critical updates.

One minor warning about Win8 - they have two settings for password when you set it up. Default is for pw to be sync'd with online microsoft acct. which can be an issue if you forget the pw to the computer and don't have internet access.  You can reset the pw of the computer easily by simply resetting the pw to your microsoft acct. but if there's no internet available...  And, it has to be an internet connection that your computer will automatically connect to since you, obviously, can't logon to computer to configure the connection. 

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 02:14:00 PM »
Geesh, I didn't see any mention of that when going through the reviews.
Good to know!

I really, REALLY need to update my FF I'm about six months out of updates.
Yes, it's been that long since I last used it.
<smile>

I'm currently in luuuurrrrrve with Opera and use it for the most part.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 09:09:38 PM »
An argument for windows 7 - with windows 7 you can install and run their Virtual Machine, which includes a licensed copy of WinXP, allowing you to have an environment for those programs (e.g. old scanner software and drivers) that require XP.  With Win8 it's not so simple http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/W8ITProPreRel/thread/c07d4fb8-e0ab-4d01-8a37-e10f0c9ed825  Hyper-V is only in Win8 Pro and all options will require a licensed OS install disk for the OS you want to run in virtual machine mode.

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 10:55:32 AM »
Making me question my decision to buy this laptop with Windows 8 for Hannah.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 12:23:27 PM »
i'd say as long as don't have old hardware that newest drivers are winxp, old software that requires xp, or like case I just ran into where insurance site requires IE7 or earlier, which means use an old puter, should be ok.   Or, have win 8 Pro instead of win 8 home and old copy of xp...   That, or hang onto an old puter with xp for use in those few instances...   

I just learned this about win8 when needed to install old IE and figured I'd do it in xp in virtual machine like you can do in vista and 7. But, no such luck.  :(

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 02:14:21 PM »
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Geek-speak!
<smile>

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 04:04:28 PM »
will try again - :)

I have an old scanner that is a great scanner (high resolution, has attachment for 35mm negatives and slides) BUT it's a discontinued model so the newest drivers available are for WinXP.   Also, the insurance I use, their website will only work with IE 7 or older. It will not work with IE8, IE9, or IE10.  And will not work in IE's compatibility mode, nor will it work with Firefox or Chrome. 

For windows vista and windows 7, Microsoft has a program you can install called Virtual Machine 2007.  What it does is creates a pretend computer inside windows.   This pretend computer runs a licensed copy of XP.  So, it functions as a workaround for when you need to use XP.

Not wanting to downgrade my IE10 on my win8 machine to use insurance website, and since even my XP netbook has win8, I began looking at trying to do the virtual machine in Win8 so that I could use an old version of IE inside the virtual instance of XP.  But the Virtual Machine tool that Microsoft released for Vista and 7 doesn't work on Win8.  Instead, you have to use alternate method and have your own licensed copy of winxp to install (which I have -- somewhere).

For Microsoft's official method to set up virtual machine in Win8 you have to have Win8 Pro or Enterprise (rather than what my machine and most home users have, which is Win8 Basic).   There is another method to add virtual machine to Win8 that doesn't require Win8 Pro.  https://www.virtualbox.org/  But it also requires digging out winxp install disk and your license keys.  So, not as simple as the vista and win7 method. 

All that being said, I still like Win8 and for a convertible laptop (one of the laptop/tablet hybrids) it's fantastic.  But if you need to be able to use old stuff that requires XP or use one the few sites out there that require an antique version of IE, there can be obstacles. 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 04:24:01 PM by WayOutWest »

planetsuze

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • suzes.melange
    • View Profile
    • Suze's Melange
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 08:58:59 PM »
OMG Steve.  I love you muchies!!!  :heartkiss

I read your post and had to double-check that *I* didn't post that. I have the exact same issue :
a great scanner (high resolution, has attachment for 35mm negatives and slides) BUT it's a discontinued model so the newest drivers available are for WinXP

It's an Epson Perfection Photo 1650. Killer scanner. Epson cannot or will not update their drivers for either Win 7 or higher or for 64 bit. They probably want us to ditch our awesome scanners in favor of newer models.  :(

Anyhoo - in order to use the scanner, I wound up re-installing XP on an old laptop. Which worked OK until a couple days ago, when the laptop died.  :'( So I found out Epson suggests getting VueScan software, which does work on Win 7/8 and 64 bit. Yes, it does work. But it's $40.  :m218 And, I only have the Home Premium version of Win 7.  :-( XP Mode only works on Pro or Enterprise level, as you know.

I tried VMWare Player, which also is free and supposedly will install XP on a virtual machine. But - although it *seems* to run properly, I can't get XP to install on it.  :017 I'm not sure what is wrong - it's a full licensed copy of XP. I am going to try this VirtualBox and see if I can get it to install that way. If all else fails, I guess I will either shuck out the $40 for VueScan or possibly upgrade Win 7. I'm not sure I want Win 8 though.

In any event, thanks a bunch!!!  :heartB

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
if virtualbox doesn't work for you, let me know.  I might have another solution 4 u :)

planetsuze

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • suzes.melange
    • View Profile
    • Suze's Melange
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 11:42:02 PM »
if virtualbox doesn't work for you, let me know.  I might have another solution 4 u :)
Will do.  :hi I DL'd VirtualBox and the user guide, but it will have to keep until tomorrow or the weekend... Thanks!

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 09:47:07 AM »
will try again - :)

I was teasing you.
I don't wear my Geekette hat much.
<smile>

planetsuze

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • suzes.melange
    • View Profile
    • Suze's Melange
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 01:04:52 PM »
Well, I am round 2 of VirtualBox, lol. I created one  :up and XP runs, but evidently I must have done something wrong, because all I had in my 10GB dynamic drive was XP and Photoshop Elements and a couple other things, and all of a sudden I am getting our of disk space errors like the whole drive is full. Not possible. So I must have set it up wrong somehow. This time, I am setting a fixed drive up. If it acts correctly, I will just get rid of the other one. XP does not need anywhere near 10GB to install.  :m218

planetsuze

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • suzes.melange
    • View Profile
    • Suze's Melange
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2013, 10:11:20 AM »
Sorry about the total thread hijack...  :-[ I guess this should be its own, lol.

The short of it - VirtualBox does work.  :up

The long of it - I am on round 3 because it took me two tries to figure out why I was running out of room so fast.
 I don't know if it's because it's a virtual machine or what, but it really *does* take up a lot of room for Win XP Pro, its updates to SP3 and Photoshop Elements. The recommended 10GB setting is not nearly enough room, and although I found some posts on how to expand the 10GB, it was a huge PITA to do for a VM novice. So I am starting over with a 60GB  dynamic drive (it expands only as needed, so doesn't chunk out 60GB from the host drive from the get-go). I will be moving my scanned items to online storage so they won't take up room. Since I really only need XP for this scanner, I should be good to go. Will know shortly, lol!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf