Author Topic: domain mapping question  (Read 15148 times)

Rick Bradford

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Poopsheet
domain mapping question
« on: August 07, 2012, 02:20:50 PM »
I've got a mapping question I'm hoping somebody might know the answer to. Hopefully it's simpler than it seems to my pea brain...

I currently have two domains on the same hosting account. One of them is technically, I guess, a subdomain of the other but they also exist as individual domains. (This set-up confuses me.) The main domain currently only forwards to my eCrater store (no masking, no mapping).

But I may be setting up a new shop. Is it possible to map the main domain to a folder on the other domain?

So that all pages on http://maindomain.com are actually pulling the content from pages at http://otherdomain.com/folder?

eotrg2

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: domain mapping question
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 06:40:03 AM »
Unless you map it to specific page in the "folder" which is web readable, all you would receive is an old DOS style directory contents list. That's IMO as I don't currently have anyway to prove that. 

Rick Bradford

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Poopsheet
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 10:25:26 PM »
Thanks, David. Do you mean it would have to be a subdomain for mapping to work?

Aspiration (host) is telling me setting a redirect in cPanel would take care of it but I'm not always sure they 100% understand what I'm asking...

eotrg2

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 09:42:17 AM »
Let me think about what you're actually trying to do some more. I didn't read it correctly the 1st time.

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 09:47:30 AM »
I've got nothing for you, Rick.
You know who might know (besides David) is Jeri or Teri of Design My Cart ...you think?
I'll try to bump one of them this weekend.

eotrg2

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 06:07:26 PM »
An aside -----

In no uncertain terms, building two websites that mirror each other in content will hurt your Internet marketing efforts. Google, Bing,  and Yahoo! all explicitly state that you should not submit sites with mirrored content. Violating their rules is likely to get one or both of your sites permanently banned by the search engines.

More here ------>>>>>  http://www.seologic.com/faq/mirror-sites-pages

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 09:25:46 AM »
Violating their rules is likely to get one or both of your sites permanently banned by the search engines.

More here ------>>>>>  http://www.seologic.com/faq/mirror-sites-pages

Yep.

Rick Bradford

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Poopsheet
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 06:35:14 PM »
Hmm, I hadn't really thought of it as mirroring.

Let me explain the circumstances. I set up a Zen Cart on my non-shop website for a temporary sale. I was originally going to uninstall it when the sale was over. Once the sale was technically over -- but before I'd uninstalled it -- I started getting unexpected orders in and realized this temp shop was being indexed by the search engines.

I've been meaning to move my eCrater shop to a Zen Cart so I figured this would probably be a good time to do that. So I thought I'd leave this site as is and customize it into a new, permanent shop.

Here's where my thinking probably falls apart. I wanted to (A) take advantage of the fact that the temp site was bringing in traffic, and (B) mask the temp site to my shop's proper domain (which is currently only being forwarded to eCrater with no masking).

BUT: If the proper address is www.myshop.com and the pages already indexed at Google are at www.tempshop.com then maybe the point is moot?

Rick Bradford

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Poopsheet
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 06:35:48 PM »
Sometimes I'm in over my head just by waking up in the morning. Thanks for your patience!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf