Author Topic: Buying Prescription Glasses Online  (Read 3491 times)

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
Buying Prescription Glasses Online
« on: May 15, 2012, 03:10:45 PM »
Has anyone purchased Prescription Glasses Online?
Ok...I enjoy having many different styles of glasses.
And would have lots (an embarrassing amount of lots) more if my glasses didn't cost as much as they do.

I've received 2 websites from trusted friends who've purchased at least 10 pairs of glasses between them.
Both peeps received their prescription glasses, they were just as described AND the prescription was what they ordered.

My problem?
Both are located outside the good ole U S of A and I'm still vascillating.
I'd feel better if there were a Paypal type service involved for payment.

Anybody have any reviews or recommendations on sites that they have purchased from?

biggfredd

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Love this chatroom!
    • View Profile
    • Garrett Metal Detectors
Re: Buying Prescription Glasses Online
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 05:54:49 PM »
Duuno what glasses cost, but there are places in the US with discount prices, including Mal-Wart, K-Mutt, Sears and private plaes.  What do you take, single, bi, progressive, and what do they cost now?
Check out the Bigg Elf's Toy Stash -- http://toystash.ecrater.com

And our Garrett metal detectors -- http://metaldetectors.ecrater.com

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 06:58:44 PM »
Mal-Wart, K-Mutt, Sears and private plaes.  What do you take, single, bi, progressive, and what do they cost now?
I'm talking MAJOR discounts.
My last pair of glasses were close to $275.00.

The places you mentioned aren't really that much of a discount as they nickel and dime extra's such as no-line bifocals, non-scratch, etc.

In the end the total round-about the same all around.

I'm talking a MAJOR discount from the online stores bringing the cost of my prescription glasses down to $50.00 a pair.
Progressive (no line) bifocals. 

For that price, I could have lots and lots of pairs of glasses to prissify myself.

ITSDF

• Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • If The Shoe Doesn't Fit
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 09:44:50 AM »
I have not tried it myself - but I am like you - I like lots of frames - and the least expensive place I've found for quality glasses is Costco.  I have had pairs made at BJs but thier lens' are made of some materila that seems to distort for my eyes. Not awful, but enough to annoy and I wouldn't do it again.  My average pair is about $250-$275 depending on the frame.  I also have progressives - so if you decide to try it - let me know. 

The one thing I would wonder is how you know the measurement they take when they measure the center of your eyes - not sure what its called - but how do you get that measurement to send them? It isn't part of a prescription it is always something the glass place does.
http://www.iftheshoedoesntfit.com
The Auction Site for Shoe Lovers!
Sell, Swap, or Shop for Shoes

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 11:38:59 AM »
I have not tried it myself - but I am like you - I like lots of frames - and the least expensive place I've found for quality glasses is Costco.  I have had pairs made at BJs but thier lens' are made of some materila that seems to distort for my eyes. Not awful, but enough to annoy and I wouldn't do it again.  My average pair is about $250-$275 depending on the frame.  I also have progressives - so if you decide to try it - let me know. 

The one thing I would wonder is how you know the measurement they take when they measure the center of your eyes - not sure what its called - but how do you get that measurement to send them? It isn't part of a prescription it is always something the glass place does.

I found a website listed on SlickDeals.com and I'm in the process of checking them out.

My b/friend has tri-focals as she does so much work on the 'puter. (an accountant) And she told me I should give tri-focals a try.

Geesh...I have a hard enough time with my bifocals.
<smile>

Anyhoooooo...the last frames/lens I picked out...Come to find out, the lens were too small to correctly "work" progressives.

And these aren't some teeny tiny lens either.

I'd not had a pair of bifocals before and when I picked up my glasses and tried them on, the tech told me it would take a few days to a week to get used to them.

I went back two weeks later to tell them...Uh huh...I'm not having success with these progressive lens and what's the prob? Is it me or is it the glasses?

Tech tells me...Oh, the tech that worked up your glasses order should've told you that the smaller the lens the harder it is for the progressive "line" to be found by the eye.

Meaning: The reading area is small and hard to keep in focus, so your eye(s) are working overtime. 

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Spoke with the office manager and then the doc.
I was given a 50% off for my next glasses order that's good for 2 years.
<shrug>
Big Whoop!
I noted to both that I should've been told this before I ordered my glasses and trying on the bazillion pairs of glasses to see which pair I liked the best.

Ellen, the sites that I've found shows you how to get the measurement where you want the center to be.

I have my prescription in hand and ready to be the "guinea pig" of the group.

eotrg2

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 01:23:05 PM »

It is your Pupillary Distance or PD, which is not part of your Rx. It is measured by the Optician, or Technician that is fitting you for glasses. It is the distance between the center of your pupils.

bgbmtgal

• Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Crystalline Rainbows
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 03:11:03 PM »
I'd be interested in this too.  My last glasses were in the $300 range.  I also got straight readers which I use in bed to read my iPad or a book, no annoying lines...  Problem is I ended up liking the reading frame a lot better than the regular frame and wished I'd done it the other way around.  I'd love to have a couple choices in glasses if they are good lenses.

My diabetes is under control and I am due for new glasses/eye check in Dec or Jan so hopefully these low cost places have been "tested" by then.  Thanks Donna for offering to be the guinea pig!!   :h0161

ITSDF

• Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 07:47:54 PM »
It all sounds awesome to me!  And it reminds me - 5/14 is when I was due for my annual eye exam... no wonder the screen looked blurry and I have so many typos lately! :0240

Keep us updated!!  And thanks eotrg2 for the PD explanation - never knew what it was exactly.

biggfredd

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Love this chatroom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 02:48:48 AM »
What I don't understand is ppl who get tested with the machine crammed against their face, then wonder why they can't see when they wear the glasses at the tip of their nose.

planetsuze

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • suzes.melange
    • View Profile
    • Suze's Melange
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 07:12:47 AM »
One word - contacts.  :up

I did not need glasses until I hit 40. Three months later, my arms were too short.  :( I absolutely despise glasses and how they look on me, sorry to say. They're expensive and give me vertigo when switching from reading to distance. I got contacts at first opportunity and only wear cheapo readers a night or two a month so my eyes can rest from the 30-day contacts. I should say "eye", singular, because my distance vision is OK - I only need glasses for reading. That will likely change soon to two contacts, from my last visit, lol. That's OK. I found out when I was wearing two contacts at first that cutting onions with contacts is great - no tears.  :up  :up  :up Now I only get them in one eye which is weird, lol.

ITSDF

• Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 09:00:28 AM »
I wish I could wear contacts - tried them twice but the don't work for my vision.  The finally doc said I could try different lenses in each eye but that was not any better - and felt wierdly off physical balance centter.  He said as my sight gets worse in a few years I might be able to wear them - but right now with my "problems" and sight I can't!  I was ticked - everyone I know has contacts!  So I went to another doc - he said the same thing - happy to try them but due to my rx did not think they would work.  :s0147

toobusyforswapmeets

• Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • LinkedIn
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Passion4Mopars
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 09:35:25 AM »
Multi-focal contacts.  I have them, LOVE them and they're the closest I could get to lasik I'm telling you.  There's nothing I can't see far away, close up, it doesn't matter.  I have astigmatism also and I had no problems with the contacts.  Bausch and Lomb Soft Lens multi-focals...I absolutely wouldn't be without them and I can order them online and they deliver to my door.

I had tried the ones where they put the close up lens  in one eye and the far away in the other eye and supposedly your brain will train with that set up and I could NEVER get used to it.  Found a different eye doc, she recommended the multi focals, I tried a trial pair and absolutely refused to give them up. 

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 10:05:46 AM »
One word - contacts. 

Arms too short?
I hear ya.
Last time I went out with my g/friends for lunch, we were playing trombone with our menus and grabbing our readers.

Can't do contacts...I'm one of those that contacts just don't work.

Hubster and his sister had multi-focal bifocal contacts...worked great.

Both of them woke up one day ( not the same day of course) and WHAM, the contacts no longer worked.
Both saw their doc and the doc said that's the way it happens.
One day your wearing contacts and the next day you can't.

I really do like wearing my glasses...especially when I can prissy up by having lots of pairs.

I decided I'm going to get a pre-paid Visa card to order the glasses with and see how that goes.
I worry that some of the sites I've seen are based in China and I don't want my CC number "out" there.

biggfredd

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Love this chatroom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 11:43:54 AM »
Can't PP do a one-use cc number for you?

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 09:08:06 PM »
None of the sites accept Paypal.
It's no big deal...I picked a card up this afternoon.

biggfredd

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Love this chatroom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 02:53:44 AM »
Not familiar with one use.  I think PP gives you a cc # that you use like any other cc #, but it's only good once, only you see it charges back to your PP account.

eotrg2

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 09:20:29 AM »
Sorry, but I'm NOT outsourcing ANYTHING else to the Chinese period. :( :(.

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 10:04:48 AM »
Sorry, but I'm NOT outsourcing ANYTHING else to the Chinese period. :( :(.

The site I chose to buy from isn't China based...still don't feel comfortable buying from the sites.

eotrg2

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 10:14:19 AM »
Here ya go SJ.

http://www.aspireauctions.com/auction/6/wa/lotdetailsv2?pageID=1337522888&lotID=50335&wosid=z0n0iIshej3obEAKT5vOdw

You'd look

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 07:37:05 AM »
HA!