Author Topic: SAMe - S-adenosylmethionine  (Read 1386 times)

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
SAMe - S-adenosylmethionine
« on: August 12, 2010, 12:16:13 AM »
Some of you know, my cat has been going through liver failure and the vet had me give him Denosyl.  The first two weeks of treatment, he was throwing up most every day (and often his pill). The second two weeks of treatment he kept the pill down, but during that month his level enzyme levels in his blood continued to increase.  The vet saw the numbers on the second test and didnt give him much hope (they were the highest he'd ever seen in a cat) and didnt see a point in giving the cat more Denosyl.  After I told him about the first two weeks pretty much not keeping the pill down, I was able to convince him to continue the treatment.  A month later his levels were down by more than half.   Now, nearly another month later, my cat is feeling much better (as indicated by his energy levels) and is gaining weight back (he had dropped from 12 lbs to 7 lbs). 

So why am I posting this in health and fitness?  I just did some digging, out of curiousity, and come to find out that Denosyl is the same thing as SAMe, an over the counter food supplement!   http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/s-adenosylmethionine-000324.htm

In cats and dogs it's been  shown to increase hepatic glutathione levels.  Glutathione is a potent antioxidant that protects hepatic cells.  And, while they cant make health claims for a food supplement (due to FDA rules) it seems to me that it would be of great assistance to people suffering from liver disease and who are in the process of experiencing liver failure (assuming there's still enough left for it to survive and regenerate)   

Read the Denosyl page http://www.denosyl.net/ and http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/vet/products/Denosyl.aspx and then the link above.

For best absorption, should be enteric coated tabs, taken on an empty stomach, and at least one hour before meals (at least, that's the recommendation for cats and dogs and thus should be the same for humans)

I realize pets have slightly different systems than humans, but I have seen it work a miracle in my cat, so I cant help but think it would also work wonders in humans who have impaired liver function.   Also worth noting that studies of using SAMe on pets who dont have liver troubles showed no signs of ill effects.

disclaimer: i'm not a doc, this is simply my opinion based on my experience with using the drug on my cat and from what I've read on the 'net

biggfredd

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Love this chatroom!
    • View Profile
    • Garrett Metal Detectors
Re: SAMe - S-adenosylmethionine
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 12:43:40 AM »
Lots of people drugs are identical to pet drugs.  Just more expensive for Johnny than Phideaux.
Check out the Bigg Elf's Toy Stash -- http://toystash.ecrater.com

And our Garrett metal detectors -- http://metaldetectors.ecrater.com

wahm922

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Twitter
    • Google+
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Ta Ta Coolerz
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 01:07:02 AM »
So glad your kitty is doing  better.  SAM-e had lots of benefits.  :up

gypsumoon

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 07:56:45 AM »
Glad kitty is better, WOW  :D!

There's also some evidence that sam-e can increase serotonin production, and may be useful in treating some kinds of depression.

signsintime

• Advanced Seller
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Starry Night Web Design
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 08:37:39 AM »
My sister was taking Sam-e for her moods when she was going through menopause and it helped a LOT.

www.starrynightwebdesign.com ~ Highwire and Themes & Services • Custom Web Design

planetsuze

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • suzes.melange
    • View Profile
    • Suze's Melange
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 10:58:19 PM »
I'm very happy for your kitty, WOW!  :D!  :D!  :D!
Do you know what was causing his liver failure to begin with?
I recall hearing a lot about SAMe a few years ago. It was a bit pricey at the time, hope it has come down a lot.
My sister was taking Sam-e for her moods when she was going through menopause and it helped a LOT.
I may have to look into that, LOL.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 01:11:08 AM »
Thanks all.  No idea what root cause was and vet didnt run any tests to determine cause since cat is 15 (could have been old age, cancer, fatty liver disease, or a few other things).  And, vet didnt give him much hope.  But, 90mg once a day of S-adenosylmethionine on empty stomach and he's doing much better.  (also had to give him antibiotics for over a month because of kidney infection, and that infection could have attributed to it as well from what vet said).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf