Author Topic: stinky leather question  (Read 7238 times)

gypsumoon

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: stinky leather question
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2009, 11:19:27 AM »
The vest has been in the bag of unscented, clean kitty litter since about 20 minutes after Deborah posted  :D!  I'm turning it a few times a day and have high hopes for this, since over thirty days of extremely fresh air/wind didn't completely eliminate the cigarette odor.

About Febreze - I personally like the stuff.  I often hang clothes I've just worn that aren't actually dirty and give them a very small squirt of Febreze, let them air overnight, then return to closet.  The smell doesn't bother me a bit, but as I said, I only use a very small amount - too much of anything and the scent overwhelms me.  And BT, I really do appreciate you asking your leather folks about this.

BUT - Febreze is not safe for leather or silk; at least not according to my research.   That's what I considered using after the fresh air didn't do the job all the way, before I posted my question here in the forums. 

I use baking soda and vinegar to clean many things - I will definitely give baking soda a try if the kitty litter doesn't pan out <very small pun intended>  ;)

eotrg

• Global Moderator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Deborah
    • View Profile
    • EOTRG which means End Of The Rainbow Gifts!
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2009, 07:06:56 PM »
Great, Cindy, let us know how it works for you. We have always had good luck with it. Deborah
"I have learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances." ~ Martha Washington
http://stores.ebay.com/End-of-the-Rainbow-Gifts
http://www.amazon.com/shops/eotrg

BTPS

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Businesses Growing Together
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2009, 07:27:59 PM »
gypsumoon - pleaase keep us posted.  I am looking forward to hearing what worked best.

sock monkeys at www.OurSockMonkey.com and of course everything at www.FilthyRichFashions.com

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why we call it the present!

shellyg

• Positive Promoter
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Candy Bar Wrappers
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2009, 01:04:25 AM »
We LOVE The scent of the fresh linen Fabreeze...   Since I hate smelling like a "fruit salad" that most perfumes & body sprays smell like....   I give a spritz of Fabreeze before I go out   LOL    I would be like the people in the commercials with my face in the carpet or pillow that has been sprayed.   :0240
http://www.candybarwrap.com  Custom Candy Bar Wrappers for All Occasions.  Birthday, Bridal, Holidays ... Any Day!  Party Favors your Guests will remember!

gypsumoon

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 08:59:57 AM »
Success!

:bliss :bliss :bliss

Actually that's 16 yo dd doing the bliss dance, since the vest is for her - and she says to please tell Deborah thank you  :heartB

So clean unscented kitty litter worked - no residual smoke odor at all, and believe me, this was BAD.  Bad as in if you got within a few feet of it, it gagged you.

I still love Febreze  :h0161 in appropriately small doses - and Glade has a version out now that I'm going to try.  It really helps in the cars when the dogs have ridden with us.

eotrg

• Global Moderator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Deborah
    • View Profile
    • EOTRG which means End Of The Rainbow Gifts!
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2009, 01:40:36 PM »
 :up :0191

I am so glad that it worked so well for you. We love to use it for mildew smell or smoke smell on books and magazines from live auctions, and it has always worked for us.
Deborah
"I have learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances." ~ Martha Washington
http://stores.ebay.com/End-of-the-Rainbow-Gifts
http://www.amazon.com/shops/eotrg

BTPS

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Businesses Growing Together
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2009, 05:40:35 AM »
The live auction company that I work with often receives items that have cigarette smell. We have had good success (We have done this with artwork, books, fabric and leather items) by putting the item into a plastic garbage bag filled with new, clean kitty litter. We tie up the bag, and leave it for a month or so, shaking it and redistibuting the kitty litter about once a week. Then, when the month is up, take it out, shake it off and it should be odor free.
Deborah

OK not to sound like an idiot BUT dont' the dust from the kitty litter get in the seams of the leather and goes it to look gray?  I can't imagine what it would do to a paper and books.  It's been YEARS -- at least 25 or more that I had kitty litter around but I recall it being tiny gravel with lots of dusty particals.  Get that into the seams and behond the threads on black leather and it would turn gray.
What am I not understanding here?

sock monkeys at www.OurSockMonkey.com and of course everything at www.FilthyRichFashions.com

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why we call it the present!

gypsumoon

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2009, 08:45:00 AM »
OK not to sound like an idiot BUT dont' the dust from the kitty litter get in the seams of the leather and goes it to look gray?  I can't imagine what it would do to a paper and books.  It's been YEARS -- at least 25 or more that I had kitty litter around but I recall it being tiny gravel with lots of dusty particals.  Get that into the seams and behond the threads on black leather and it would turn gray.
What am I not understanding here?

Not a problem - I shook it vigorously and rubbed it down really really well, and it looks perfect.

I used Arm & Hammer kitty litter - it's what we use for our kitties. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf