Author Topic: stinky leather question  (Read 7953 times)

gypsumoon

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
stinky leather question
« on: September 22, 2009, 06:13:02 PM »
Who knows how to get cigarette smoke smell out of leather?

Should I have it dry-cleaned?  Would that help?  I'd prefer to do home remedy(ies) because I hate the smell from the dry cleaner almost as much as the ciggy smoke smell  ;)

This is a black leather Harley-Davidson vest. 

I've had good luck before with charcoal and vintage purses, but that was a musty smell.

Anybody?

biggfredd

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Love this chatroom!
    • View Profile
    • Garrett Metal Detectors
Re: stinky leather question
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 07:36:24 PM »
smell is smell. charcoal should work.
Check out the Bigg Elf's Toy Stash -- http://toystash.ecrater.com

And our Garrett metal detectors -- http://metaldetectors.ecrater.com

BTPS

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Businesses Growing Together
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 07:43:32 PM »
I'll ask the folks at my leather coat suppliers.

sock monkeys at www.OurSockMonkey.com and of course everything at www.FilthyRichFashions.com

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why we call it the present!

serendipity

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • The Violet Bee Boutique (handmade creations)
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 01:27:31 AM »
A good airing out can make a big difference. Hang it outside or in a garage. Or, in the winter, if it's not TOO stinky, I've had success with hanging something in my bathroom. The fan running periodically helps refresh the air in there.

gypsumoon

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 07:33:38 AM »
@ BT - thanks, I look forward to hearing what they have to say.

@ Dipity - that was my first response to the situation - and it's been hanging up airing out in various locations for about a month now.  It's better - at first you couldn't even get near it without smelling it - but it's still there.  I've even hung it out in the Kansas wind, where it blew sideways for awhile  ;)

eotrg

• Global Moderator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Deborah
    • View Profile
    • EOTRG which means End Of The Rainbow Gifts!
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 08:22:14 AM »
The live auction company that I work with often receives items that have cigarette smell. We have had good success (We have done this with artwork, books, fabric and leather items) by putting the item into a plastic garbage bag filled with new, clean kitty litter. We tie up the bag, and leave it for a month or so, shaking it and redistibuting the kitty litter about once a week. Then, when the month is up, take it out, shake it off and it should be odor free.
Deborah
"I have learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances." ~ Martha Washington
http://stores.ebay.com/End-of-the-Rainbow-Gifts
http://www.amazon.com/shops/eotrg

gypsumoon

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 09:06:10 AM »
Thanks, Deborah - I'll get that going today  :D!

« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 09:09:34 AM by gypsumoon »

serendipity

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 12:27:47 PM »
Pay attention to what you get...some kitty litters have an extra scent to help hide the cat waste smell. I have to be careful what gets stored in the quadrant of our basement that has the litter boxes, because the fine dust of Tidy Cats clumping litter lends its subtle scent to boxes, etc.

eotrg

• Global Moderator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Deborah
    • View Profile
    • EOTRG which means End Of The Rainbow Gifts!
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 12:30:03 PM »
Pay attention to what you get...some kitty litters have an extra scent to help hide the cat waste smell. I have to be careful what gets stored in the quadrant of our basement that has the litter boxes, because the fine dust of Tidy Cats clumping litter lends its subtle scent to boxes, etc.
Yes, I agree. We only bought the plain non-clumping generic type in a 5 lb bag. It was cheapest and totally unscented.
Deborah
"I have learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances." ~ Martha Washington
http://stores.ebay.com/End-of-the-Rainbow-Gifts
http://www.amazon.com/shops/eotrg

BTPS

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 01:52:24 PM »
I'll ask the folks at my leather coat suppliers.

This is what they said -
hang outside and spray with Febreeze. Getting the fresh air in the leather really airs it out. We have done that before and it has worked!
sock monkeys at www.OurSockMonkey.com and of course everything at www.FilthyRichFashions.com

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why we call it the present!

serendipity

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 01:58:51 PM »
Gypsu, if this is for yourself and you like the smell of Febreeze, then go for it. But if it's to sell, I'm going to strongly caution you on using it. Febreeze has a fragrance that in my experience is far, far harder to get out of something than cigarette smoke...and often you end up with both smells, because a sensitive nose will still pick up the smoke smell and the coverup smell of the febreeze.

kolstromkreations

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Gemstone Jewelry
    • View Profile
    • MysticTopaz.net
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 02:35:04 PM »
Ask your local dry cleaner or shoe repair shop.  Some outsource to a professional leather service for repairs and cleaning.

BTPS

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 03:43:05 PM »
They make a NON fragence Febreeze.  It's in a white bottle - non-fragence for folks with allergies.

Here's what Febreze says about smoke odors

Odor Problem:
Smoke Odor
Surrounding yourself with positive people is a great way to feel a little happier yourself. Make it easy for your favorite friends and family to feel at home in your space by eliminating stale, heavy smoke odor from cigarettes or cigars. Febreze® fabric sprays, air freshener sprays, candles and scented oil warmers are the perfect way to remove cigarette odor.

Try them on curtains, carpet, upholstered furniture and the air. With smoke odor protection from Febreze®, your guests won’t notice anything but a warm welcome and a home fragrance they’ll love.

http://www.febreze.com/en_US/odor_problem/smoke.do

Don't look like the allergy one is there for smoke odors - but they do make one.

IF the febreze is an issue you can always use it to get the smoke odor out then hang it out to get the febreze odor out.

wahm922

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Twitter
    • Google+
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Ta Ta Coolerz
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 03:58:57 PM »
Even NON fragrance febreeze has a smell to it and will still send me into an itching frenzy.  Be careful with that stuff for sure, I agree with Anne!

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 04:49:05 PM »
Lots of folks are allergic to Febreeze...we don't use it in this household as it makes us all start sneezing.

Just sayin...

BTPS

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 06:13:19 PM »
gypsumoon - please forgive me for posting to use Febreze.  Apparently the folks in this forum are sneezing and having fits just by the mere mention of the fact it works! Obviously there are millions in the world that can't sniff out the febreze smell. 

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 07:22:22 PM »
if you know anyone that lives close to you with a good quality ozone machine, that's what I'd use.  Put it and item in small room (such as a 1/2 bath) and turn the machine up fairly high and close door.  Should be odor free after a few hours.   Note: be careful when re-entering room; the high level of ozone will burn your lungs.

serendipity

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 08:59:12 PM »
I didn't know they had an unscented Febreeze now. I try to get in and out of that aisle as quickly as I can because I start having an allergic reaction to the fragrances pretty quickly. Like I said, if the item is for personal use and you don't mind febreeze, spray away, but if it's for resale, I've seen many items ruined by febreeze that would have been fine if they aired out some more.

WOW had an excellent suggestion. I don't know who you'd know that might have one of those, but they really do a great job of eliminating smoke smell. My car had a slight smoke smell to it when I was car-shopping, and the dealership hooked it up to the ozone machine overnight and it made a HUGE difference. I think it might have been ozoned before I ever saw it, but sitting closed up in the sun brought out more smell. My car had cloth upholstry, but still...

shellyg

• Positive Promoter
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Candy Bar Wrappers
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2009, 09:37:13 PM »
I put books in a plastic bin & a bowl of Arm & Hammer baking soda.  Don't just "open the box"... put in a box or bowl for more "surface space".
http://www.candybarwrap.com  Custom Candy Bar Wrappers for All Occasions.  Birthday, Bridal, Holidays ... Any Day!  Party Favors your Guests will remember!

VintageSilver

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2009, 09:33:15 AM »
I was going to suggest the Baking Soda as well. I use it for getting diesel smell off of shoes, out of coats, etc.  Often my DH can't even smell it - andh e's very attuned to the odors of diesel. 

Plastic bin, open box of Arm and Hammer- item on top of box, seal lid.  Wait day or so.  Air out in sunshine.  Done.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf